Where To Buy
To be in dress code, students must wear clothing from The Uniform Source.
The Uniform Source
1032-E Vann Drive,
Jackson, TN 38305
Regular store hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday
10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday
Phone number: 731-512-1808
All students attending University School of Jackson are expected to be in accordance with the Dress Code on a daily basis. Our policy on school uniforms is based on the notion that school uniforms:
- Promote a sense of pride in the school
- Engender a sense of community and belonging towards the school.
- Are practical and smart.
- Prevent students from coming to school in fashion clothes that could be distracting in class.
- Make children feel equal to their peers in terms of appearance.
- Are regarded as suitable wear for school and a good value by parents.
- Model professional expectations about attire.
We ask all USJ parents to support the school uniform policy. We believe that parents have a duty to send their children to school correctly dressed and ready for their daily schoolwork. Parents should ensure that their child has the correct uniform and that it is clean and in good repair. At the discretion of the Division Director, students who are out of uniform in an emergency may be excused without penalty. Besides the uniform policy, here are other points to consider involving attire/appearance:
- Extreme coloring of hair and unconventional hairstyles are not acceptable, and, as such, break school rules.
- Boys must be clean-shaven daily, and hair should not be worn below the eyebrows or collar. Boys may not have ponytails or use any accessories (hair ties, clips, bands, etc.) to hold up hair that would fall below the collar or below the eyebrows if left unfastened.
- Piercings for male students are unacceptable.
- Piercings for females, other than the ear lobes, are not permitted. Ear piercings deemed by the administration to be excessive in number are also not permitted.
- Tattoos are unacceptable.
Dress Code standards
- All clothing should be worn properly and size appropriate.
- Skirts can be no more than three inches above the knee. Skirts must have hems.
- Shirt tails are to be tucked in at all times. The only exceptions are the girls’ oxford over-blouse and the girl-cut polo and sweatshirts worn by Cubs to first grade.
- A black or brown belt must be worn with pants or shorts designed with belt loops.
- Non-USJ outerwear may be worn outside, but should be kept in lockers during school. Only The Uniform Source outerwear may be worn inside the building.
- Students may not wear hats, bandannas, scarves, or other headwear inside the building.
- Socks, knee socks, tights, and leggings must be a solid color – navy, white, brown, red, or flesh-tone. Lace on leggings is not allowed. Patterned tights or leggings are not allowed.
- Undershirt sleeves must be shorter than uniform shirtsleeves.
- Accessories, such as watches, bracelets, necklaces, and earrings, should be appropriate and non-distracting.
- All hairstyles should be in good taste and neatly groomed. Unnatural coloring of hair is prohibited.
- Any form of dress or appearance which disrupts or distracts from the purpose or conduct of school, considered contrary to good hygiene, or threatens the safety of one's self or others will not be permitted.
- Strong perfumes and cologne may be offensive or distracting to others, therefore avoid excessive use; heavy application of make-up should also be avoided.
- Proper hygiene is required so that offensive body odor is avoided. Fingernails should be trimmed, clean, and well groomed.
- All dress code guidelines apply to USJ students until after they have formally graduated from USJ.
For more information about our school dress code, please reference the Student Handbook.